[Asterisk-Users] Modem support via Cisco FXS ports?

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Wed Jul 7 10:42:09 MST 2004

I need to do some modem testing at work, just to make sure that I can
dial into an emergency serial console modem before I put it into a box
and ship it.  Unfortunately, we don't have easy access to a pair of
POTS lines in the office right now.  Looking around the test lab, we
have a Cisco 3640 with a 2FXS VIC in it.  I can plug my laptop's modem
into one FXS port, and plug the serial console modem into the other,
and then set up Asterisk to relay calls between the two ports using
SIP.

Before I spend a few hours setting up a test asterisk server in the
office and monkeying with SIP images on the 3640, I'd like to know if
anyone has actually tried something like this.  Clearly it's not the
ideal way to connect a pair of modems back-to-back, but it should work,
right?  I don't really even care about the connection speed, as long as
it's not *totally* buggy.

Scott