[Asterisk-Users] Re: Re: iax or sip

Chris A. Icide chris at netgeeks.net
Wed Jul 7 09:37:20 MST 2004

On 06:51 AM 7/7/2004, Randy Bush wrote:

 >why enum?  forcing humans to deal with telephone numbers
 >is analogous to asking them to use ip addresses instead
 >of domain names (which are bad enough, but that's another
 >story).  do you want to send email to randy at 147.28.0.62?
 >so why not 'dial' randy at psg.com or whatever?

Because phones are Ubiquitous.  They are everywhere, the proportion of
people who have computers versus those who have phones worldwide, is
probably still under 10%.  By limiting the ability to map the current world
wide legacy telephone address space into some method allowing you to reach
systems via IP transport as well as TDM transport, you limit the reach of
your voice communications network.

Consider it backwards compatibility, sure, use randy at psg.com where you can,
but I surely know if I told my parents to call me at chris at netgeeks.net,
they'd suffer the human 'blue screen' event just trying to comprehend what
I just said.

For the majority of the people out there, saying 'call me' automatically
causes a reaction 'what is your telephone NUMBER?'  The telephone is such
an integrated tool in most people's lives that you can't just switch it out
for a keyboard and expect everyone to get it.  Over time, perhaps, but then
you have to consider compactness and usability.  I have some small devices
that allow me to use alphanumerics (palm's handwriting detection, or a
blueberry's tiny keyboard), but they are bulky compared to my cell
phone.  And 'compact' keyboards leave a lot to be desired, IMHO.

Of course there was the day when you could pick up a phone spin a little
handle and then say Hi, Jenny, can you hook me up with Joan over in
Jacksonville?  Thanks!  So maybe not people can make the change back to
picking up thier 'phone' and just saying some unique identifier (Joan over
in Jacksonville might not cut it now - but joan at jacksonville.or.us just
might) of who they want to call.

This has gotten WAY off topic, so I'll just drop it here.

-Chris