[Asterisk-Users] VoIP hackers gut Caller ID

Timothy R. McKee tim at baseworx.net
Wed Jul 7 08:57:31 MST 2004

This has always been one of my pet peeves, even as I worked in the industry.
A telco switch operating a DS1 on trunk side should enforce caller-id
numbers to be within the range of DID numbers assigned to that trunk.  There
should be a default DID number that is used to replace any *invalid* numbers
sent on that trunk.  Note that blocked caller ids would still be blocked,
but the rest of the data should be corrected.  Blocking ID is ok, lying
about it is not.

Blind trust of a non-SS7 link is a _bad_ thing.

Timothy R. McKee