[Asterisk-Users] Newbie's doubt on sip.conf

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Jul 7 08:03:54 MST 2004

>>3) Can anyone explain the meaning of "peer", "friend",
>>"user" in more details? For each case, what is the
>>role of Asterisk in SIP world, a UA, a proxy, or
>>others?

In some diagrams, Asterisk take's the role of a SIP Proxy, but it is *not*
a SIP proxy by design. Asterisk answers SIP calls and originates calls as
just another SIP user agent client/server.

Asterisk is also acting as a SIP registrar, keeping track of where SIP
ua's are so we can place calls to them ([peer]s).

/O