[Asterisk-Users] Re: Re: iax or sip

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Wed Jul 7 06:51:12 MST 2004

i buy most of what you say except

> At that point, virtually every business and every
> household will have such a box. Couple that with some
> universal directory facility, ie ENUM and you have got a
> ubiquitous peer-to-peer telephone network where telcos
> will have no role to play other than providing the data
> pipes.

why enum?  forcing humans to deal with telephone numbers
is analogous to asking them to use ip addresses instead
of domain names (which are bad enough, but that's another
story).  do you want to send email to randy at 147.28.0.62?
so why not 'dial' randy at psg.com or whatever?

is it the 12-key pad?  but maybe i'll be 'dialing' using
my computer's keyboard.

after i had spent a bunch of time working out and pushing
the enum hack (shamelessly stolen from tpc.int), allison
mankin hit me with a clue-by-four and asked what was the
sense in mapping phone numbers into a name space that
already worked and was sufficient.  i felt pretty
stoopid.

randy