[Asterisk-Users] Newbie's doubt on sip.conf

kaiduan xie kaiduanx at yahoo.ca
Tue Jul 6 21:45:53 MST 2004

Hi,

I have some doubts on sip.conf.

1) Can I have two or more SIP phones acting as
extensions in one Asterisk box, and at the same time,
registered to a SIP proxy, say Free World Dialup? If
yes, how?

2) Why we need a section in the sip.conf for the
proxy, say, Free World Dialup's fwd.pulver.com? In the
case of 1), how to assign the value to section
[fwd.pulver.com], since there are more than one sip
phone, each with different FWD number?

[fwd.pulver.com]

type=friend

secret=mypassword

username=my fwd number

host=fwd.pulver.com

3) Can anyone explain the meaning of "peer", "friend",
"user" in more details? For each case, what is the
role of Asterisk in SIP world, a UA, a proxy, or
others?

4) If we only use SIP phone as extensions in Asterisk,
the SIP phone doesnot associate with outside proxy,
does Asterisk act as a proxy for inter-extension call
between the SIP phones? In this case, for the outgoing
 call originating from SIP phone to other network,
say, PSTN, does Asterisk act as a gateway? (PSTN
connection with Asterisk is assumed.)

Any comments are welcome, thanks,

kaiduan