[Asterisk-Users] RE: is srv lookup being done when REGISTERing?

Chris A. Icide chris at netgeeks.net
Tue Jul 6 15:51:23 MST 2004

On 12:33 PM 7/6/2004, Karl Brose wrote:

 >Registering with a provider with a register=yes in the [peer] section is
 >convenient for small installations when only one user is registering
 >with that domain since all the info usually is there already (username,
 >secret, host,...), but what if you have 20, 50, 100 users or accounts to
 >register. In that case, the old style register is convenient since it is
 >nice to have things presented in some kind of table (row, column) form,
 >and all the registrations can be maintained in an #include file or a
 >database.
 >Overloading  the register  syntax with more params naturally is a
 >drawback, but can actually be simplified by only using the [peer] name
 >instead of the proxyhost/domain and port and eliminate duplication that way.
 >Lastly, the existing register line syntax (without hostname portion)
 >could be moved into the [peer] section to associate it directly with the
 >peer and still allow multiple account registrations by duplicating the line.

Note, he said:

I would prefer to see a "register = yes" directive in the "type = peer"
sections of both sip.conf and iax.conf, rather than the current method
of using a separate "register => whatever" directive.  The current
method could be maintained for backward compatibility, of course.

with the emphasis on 'backward compatibility'

However, I would think that ast_data would resolve the issue of handling
large numbers of sip entries.  And in that case, putting the register=yes
as an entry under a peer or friend category would seem to fit the design
quite well.

-Chris