[Asterisk-Users] Calling an outside phone number as part of a hunt

Chris A. Icide chris at netgeeks.net
Tue Jul 6 15:18:36 MST 2004

On 07:51 PM 7/5/2004, Hall, Eric M. wrote:
 >I'm trying to see if this is even possible.
 >
 >When you dial ext 2000 I want it to ring my sip phone for 20 sec then
 >call my cell and let it ring for 10 sec if I do not pick up the call on
 >my cell I would like it to go back to * and leave a voice message for
 >me. Here is what I have so far in my extensions.conf
 >
 >Everything works except the call will not go back to * after the 10 sec
 >rule has expired.

Asterisk assumes an analog interface (x100p, TDM4XXX) to have answered a
dial command as soon as the dial command completed successfully.  You may
have some success with using callprogress=yes, however, this may very well
cause other issues as can be seen if you do a google on callprogress.  So
in other words, your dialplan isn't working as you suspect because as soon
as asterisk picks up the line on one of your x100p cards and issues the
dtmf to the telco, it assumes the line has been answered (and technically
it has, the telephone company's switch has answered your call request, and
will now just pass audio back to you, whether it's a ring, busy tone, or
someone's voice, and without call progress you won't know the difference
(at least asterisk won't).  The 10 second timeout never makes it into the
decision, the line has been answered before 1 second passes.