[Asterisk-Users] iax or sip

C. Maj cmaj-SPAM at freedomcorpse.com
Mon Jul 5 13:29:56 MST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Randy Bush waxed:

> i am looking at iax to see if it is applicable to my needs.  i
> would appreciate any corrections of what i think i have understood
> but probably have not.

Are we all supposed to guess what your needs are ?

> iax uses udp and traverses nats.  neither of these seems useful to
> me.  i loathe nats, and udp is not well-behaved in the sense of
> congestion avoidance.

I think you could argue that IAX loathes NATs, too.  That's
why it traverses them.  That's a loathing way about it, eh ?

> trunking will save some bytes in flight iff one has four or more
> streams moving between two pbxes.  but who would want to have the
> pbxes in the data stream anyway?  reinvite rules, especially in a
> geographically distributed use scenario.

You *can* set up IAX to by-pass intermediate PBXes for direct,
end-to-end communication.  I think the default conf files
actually ship that way.

> now, i could see a network of iaxen if there was some way to
> negotiate call routing with costs etc.  but trip looks a bit ugly
> and kinda far away.  and it certainly is not part of current play.

So future expansion with the protocol is not your concern ?

> what am i missing here?

The answer to the question: what kind of VoIP do you want ?

--Chris

--
Chris Maj, Rochester
cmaj_at_freedomcorpse_dot_com