[Asterisk-Users] Special Delivery from China

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Thu Jul 1 00:09:26 MST 2004

> That would be a great alternative.  For what it's worth, the phone is
> based on a PA1688 single-chip VOIP terminal, which in turn contains a
> 50MHz 8051-compatible and a ADSP2181 DSP running at 33MHz.

Okay, open sourcers, that does not include Linux. Even uLinux (that runs
on CPUs without a MMU) should be far to fat for this environment. Hey,
that thing has even still Banks to access memory, very much like the
Lotus EMS that we once used years ago on 8086 and 80186. Or in the
"Language Card" for the Apple II ...

>For what it's worth, I was able to determine that they're using VC6 and
> KeilC51 (?) to cross-compile.

Keil is a company that develops and sells cross-compilers for a host of
embedded type CPUs. The compiler usually runs on Windows and generates
binary files that you either flash into Flash chips, EEPROM or via JTAG.
It's well known in the commercial "community". The KeilC51 costs here
1600 Euro, and that's just the CA51 Compiler+Assembler. No debugger.

I think that the "No Linux" and "Windows" words in my statemement above
greatly reduces the chance that people really will jump onto this
opensource bandwagon. The price tag as well (althought me might be able
to create a 8051 cross compilation environment on Linux).