[Asterisk-Users] Call quality questions

Ariel Batista abatista at avionica.com
Fri Jan 30 15:04:56 MST 2004

Lane Hoskins wrote:
> Our basic system is as follows:
>
> P4 3.0 Ghz w/ HT, 1GB PC3200 RAM, 120 GB HDD, RH 9.0 OS, * from CVS
> several weeks ago, working OK for routing, VM, and AA, calls in on
> separate PSTN lines to Adtran TSU 600, into * server through T100P
> card. The hardware is not taxed at all with little over 20% proc
> utilization ever, low mem use, etc. All Phones are SNOM 200's with
> various firmware revisions from 2.2t to 2.3o.

I have finally gotten my Snom 200's to work.  I upgraded them all to the
2.3o.

> Any help is appreciated.
>
> 1. We have horrible sound quality regardless of the codec we use in
> the phone or specify in *. Has anyone else run into this early on and
> found a software fix?

I had the same problem with sound.  It happen to be my switch hub that I
had.  I changed it out to a good switch and for internal network I use alaw.
For outside network (Over the internet) I use gsm which has sometimes has
sound problems.

> 2. Speakerphone will not work for playing VM messages, it chops the
> message into unintelligible fragments of audio. Any ideas?

Same problem as above.

> 3. Initially we have horrible introduction of background noise into
> the handset earpiece which seems to quiet after there is audio on the
> other end. Ideas?

I did not have this problem.

> 4. Sound quality to called parties outside our system is
> intermittently horrible: static filled and raspy where we have to ask
> people to repeat themselves many times. Could this be related to
> powerline noise or something like that?

If you want I can call you to explain more on what we did with our settings.