[Asterisk-Users] Multiple Line Appearances

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sat Jan 31 15:51:20 MST 2004

My point in my last paragraph was that you don't want to do this on
the user-agent side; you want to control this on the server side.

To use asterisk parlance:

exten => 1234,1,Dial(SIP/jane&SIP/bill)

This means that when extension 1234 is called, that the (single)
phones named "jane" and "bill" will ring.  Those SIP peers are
defined in sip.conf.

While the SIP specification allows one to have multiple endpoints
registering with the same authentication name and password (and thus,
the same "identity") this is IMHO not a good design, since there is
no accountability for where calls actually went or came from.  I
suppose if you are a completely "open" network then this is OK, but
anywhere that there are monetary expenses associated with calls, this
will quickly lead to heartache and woe.  In any case, Asterisk only
recognizes the most recent registration that it has seen for a
particular identity, so every few seconds you'd get a tug-of-war
going on with multiple identities registering to the same sip peer
entry.

SER can do both methods (multiple phones mapped to 1 identity, or
multiple phones mapped to multiple identities) but this is the
Asterisk mailing list, not the SER mailing list.  :-)

JT