[Asterisk-Users] newbie thinclient env

jef peeraer jef.peeraer at pandora.be
Sat Jan 31 06:06:26 MST 2004

On Saturday 31 January 2004 12:13, you wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > - asterix on the LTSP servers ?
>
> It is not advisable to run Asterisk on a server that runs X-Windows. You
> could give it a try on one machine, but I might very well turn out that
> you'll not like the resulting voice quality ("choppy sound").
>
> > - can i connect a phone to the thinclients via USB ( some thinclients
> > have no PCI extension possibilities )
>
> First thing is to check with LTSP if it supports local USB devices. And
> have you arranged already arranged sound support for the clients at all?
> Anyway, I'd rather go for a standard hardware IP phone - unless you are
> running a call center.
Can you explain a bit more about that hardware IP phone. Maybe a link ? Could
i just connect that to the network ?
USB support is working already, the sound-chip, i must check on that. I think
the newer LTSP-4 would be ideally for that, because you can configure some
stuff to run locally. Should try that some day.

> > - 17 LTSP servers have dynamic ip addresses ( here in belgium, that means
> > that every 1 or 2 days, the ip address changes ). Can i use dyndns for
> > asterix ?
>
> I wouldn't rely on that, dyndns can be slow and out-of-date. Instead
> register the dynamic Asterisk boxes with one or two static Asterisk
> boxes, which would basically mean that you'd end up with a star topolgy.
>
> > - does asterix imply a serious load on the server, say for 5 telephones
>
> That depends on the codecs that you plan to use (which in turn depends on
> the phones that you use), as well as the number of concurrent calls. If
> transcoding is involved (=translation from one codec to another) then
> your CPU will be less bored. You should also consider QoS issues when
> running VoIP in a LTSP environment (for the record: Linux Terminx Server
> Project).
I was thinkingh the use max 1 phone /thinclient, so for the moment beingh,
max 5 phones / LTSP server. But yes, maybe it is too much for that one
server, but i could easily put another one nearby it.

> Finally: Do you need your telephones to work even when the local LTSP
> server is down?
Never thought about that, but i think on every location, there will still be
one classical phone .

> Check the Wiki for codec details, bandwidth usage etc:
> http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk
I surelly do that. Thanks for the info !

Jef