[Asterisk-Users] Compiling while * is running

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Fri Jan 30 16:57:37 MST 2004

On 30 Jan 2004, Joe Phillips wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 14:26, David Gomillion wrote:
> > Rob Fugina wrote:
> >
> > > Seg faulting compiles usually indicate a memory problem on the
> > > machine. Not lack of size, but bad memory, badly seated memory,
> > > etc...  There's no reason asterisk running, or the drivers being
> > > loaded, should
> > > cause a compile to seg fault.
> > >
> > I don't agree.  When first learning to program, my programs segfaulted all
> > of the time, regarless of what machine I was on.  Often, it was doing
> > something stupid, like trying to replace a file that was in use, etc.
>
> I think you are mis-reading Rob.  True that your own programs segfaulted
> but did you cause GCC to segfault?  I think the original author said
> that GCC was itself segfaulting.  GCC is so well used and tested that as
> Rob points out, the most common cause of a GCC segfault is hardware
> failure.

GCC segfaults are most commonly caused by either bit errors in memory or
cache problems with the CPU. 99% of them are due to faulty SIMM modules.
(Just reinforcing your point).

> > My suggestion: if this downtime is unacceptable for your use, then get an
> > identical machine, exactly alike in all ways, including library versions,
> > hardware, etc, and compile it on that machine.  Then copy the appropriate
> > directories over to your production machine.  Copy the production machine's
> > directories to a safe location, stop * and zaptel, copy the new compiled
> > things over, then restart * and zaptel.  My guess is that 30 seconds should
> > be plenty of time for this change.  Thus, you only need to have been up for
> > the last 3.47 days to have 99.999% uptime.
>
> This is a reason I argue for binary packages in production
> environments.  You can build the packages (eg. debs or RPMs) on a
> development machine at your leisure and install the binary in minutes on
> the production machine.  If your packages use proper dependencies you
> can also be much more sure you can reproduce your environment on new
> hardware (testing, qa, hot-spare, disaster recovery etc).

Speaking of Binary packages, has anyone had the chance to test the
Asterisk 0.7.1 RPMS that I built last weekend?

                             KP-216-121-ST