[Asterisk-Users] Expire old voice mail messages, et al

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Jan 29 19:40:37 MST 2004

On Thursday 29 January 2004 19:08, Brian West wrote:
> > I found by accident that there is a limit of 99 messages in your
> > INBOX in Asterisk.
> > The 100th attempt to record a voice mail causes the system to play
> > your greeting and then never record the 100th message and silently
> > disconnect the caller.

If you use 0.7.1 or later, the system now plays a prompt warning the
user that the mailbox is full and cannot record any more messages.

<snip>

> > Any thought of having maximum number of messages be defined
> > globally in voicemail.conf or on a per user basis?
>
> Not per user but yes it should be a config option.

Due to the way that it's coded right now, it's a non-trivial patch to
change that number at runtime.  However, you can redefine that number
near the top of app_voicemail.c and recompile.

<snip>

> > Finally...am I the only person who does not have a need for
> > separate busy and no answer outgoing messages?  When I change my
> > greeting...I change the not available...and have a cron job copy
> > the unavailable to the busy file so the messages are the same.

If you don't want to ever play the busy message, why do you ever
indicate the busy message is to be played with the b option?  Just
change your dialplan to always use the u prefix to the mailbox.

-Tilghman