[Asterisk-Users] Expire old voice mail messages, et al

Jeff Crews jeff at eoni.com
Thu Jan 29 16:30:15 MST 2004

I have Asterisk deliver all voice mail to users as email attachments.

I found by accident that there is a limit of 99 messages in your INBOX in
Asterisk.
The 100th attempt to record a voice mail causes the system to play your
greeting and then never record the 100th message and silently disconnect
the caller.

So...is it safe to simply use the UNIX find command to delete any files in
the INBOX directory that are older than X days old?

I did not know if Asterisk would lose track of which message number was
next...or otherwise screw up the mail box by doing this.

If my use of a daily cron like this:
/usr/bin/find /var/spool/asterisk/vm/33/INBOX/* -mtime +15 -exec rm {} \;
is a bad idea...perhaps having a message retention period defined in
voicemail.conf on a global or per user basis.

Any thought of having maximum number of messages be defined globally in
voicemail.conf or on a per user basis?

Also, does anyone feel a need to have the voicemail system speak the date
and time the voice mail message arrived for those that access messages by
phone instead of the usual email?

Finally...am I the only person who does not have a need for separate busy
and no answer outgoing messages?  When I change my greeting...I change the
not available...and have a cron job copy the unavailable to the busy file
so the messages are the same.

Thanks.

---
Jeff Crews
Eastern Oregon Net, Inc.
La Grande Oregon
Email jcrews at eoni.com
Voice 541-963-2625 or 800-785-7873,  extension 11
personal efax 503-907-6704
standard company fax 541-962-7818
web http://www.eoni.com