[Asterisk-Users] asterisk with big number of extentions.

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 16:40:53 MST 2004

Aside from the search time, which appearently grows linearly
with the number of extensions, you have to worry about
volitility in the list of 25K extensions.  Lets say that
every two years on average one of your uses changes.  I think
that means you will needs to make three changes a day.
So you will be editing extension.conf and doing a reload
a few times a day, every day. With 25,000 users will there
_ever_ be a time when no one is using the system so you can do
a reload?

You will need some why to modify the dail plan without taking
the system off-line.or you will greatly upset a lot of users.

And while you are in there, it should not be hard to improve the
search time better than O(M=N) at least for non-wildcarded extensions
A simple binary search will
get you to order of log2(n) which is a big deal with N > 25K

--- William Waites <asterisk at lists.styx.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 06:27:33AM -0600, Rich Adamson wrote:
> > > We are thinking of making network of about 25000 extension
> numbers.
> > > These extension will be SIP phones. Asterisk will be connected to
> some VoIP
> > > gateways through H323 which will allow to
> > > terminate calls.
> > >
> > > Can Asterisk handle such kind of load?
> >
> > No problem, as long as none of them make any calls.
>
> The number of extensions is relevant. I am not
> sure the level at which begins to matter, but the
> comment reproduced below from pbx.c gives some
> idea that eventually it may be an issue worth
> considering. It may be that at 25k extensions
> the O(N+M) search starts to become noticeable.
>
> /*
>  * I M P O R T A N T :
>  *
>  *              The speed of extension handling will likely be among
> the most important
>  * aspects of this PBX.  The switching scheme as it exists right now
> isn't
>  * terribly bad (it's O(N+M), where N is the # of extensions and M is
> the avg #
>  * of priorities, but a constant search time here would be great ;-)
>  *
>  */
>
> But of course there are ways around using ENUM
> and the like.
>
> -w
> --
> /~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign