[Asterisk-Users] Multiple Line Appearances

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Jan 29 11:44:02 MST 2004

At 12:20 PM -0500 1/29/04, Jeremy McNamara wrote:
>MLS Drop for SysAdmin wrote:
>
>>Has anyone successfully implemented concurrent appearance of the
>>same PBX extension on multiple SIP phones?
>>
>>When using Cisco 7960s under call manager, you can have several
>>phones with the same line appearance, but the first user to seize a
>>line makes it inaccessible to other phones.
>>
>>Under SIP operation it seems as though this is not possible, but we
>>don't see group ringing definable for SIP extensions.
>

>It is my understanding that Cisco didn't bother implementing this
>functionality into their SIP firmware. However, as you have
>described, this feature does work when using CCM.
>
>chan_skinny (and chan_sccp - which btw, will become the same channel
>driver soon) will eventually support this feature.
>
>If you (anyone?) have any motivation for Theo and myself to make
>Asterisk's SCCP support go to the top of our to-do lists, please
>contact either one of us off-list.
>
>Jeremy McNamara

The Cisco phones with SIP support this just fine; it's not a problem
for the endpoints, it's a problem for the SIP registrar.

The phones will happily send out the same authentication
name/password pair all day long to the server. The server must be
smart enough to then map those multiple registrations to a single
"number." Asterisk does not support this feature at this time.

If you want to use this trick, try SER, as I have had multiple
devices with the same registration data register against SER.  When
an INVITE is passed into the system, all the phones automatically
ring and the first pickup gets the call.

Typically, you'd want to do this type of multi-number mapping back on
the server, anyway - it's not a good idea to have multiple endpoints
registering with the same auth data, but you can do it if you really,
really want - just not with Asterisk.

JT