[Asterisk-Users] Re: SIP error (*Asterisk Development Error*)

Kannaiyan Natesan nkans at lycos.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 07:21:34 MST 2004

Asterisk has two type of licenses.

1. For SALE. You can get asterisk and develop it further and can release
only the binary without releasing the source code.
2. GPL. You can get it and develop it further, but when you distribute it
you need to give the source code.

     The problem is not with the 2 but with the license type 1. When you
develop the source code and if Digium sells it and get the profit out of it
will you accept that ?

     Only for that reason, I could visualise that most of the asterisk
development get stucked in the middle by the outside developers. If I'm
wrong anywhere please correct it.

      I could see that it disturbs the development of asterisk. But in all
the case we can find very soon that someone will developing another version
of asterisk with a different name where all the public developers can pull
the source in.

This is what I learned from the development of asterisk.

Kannaiyan