[Asterisk-Users] DTMF wrongly recognised

Terence Parker terence at parker.com.hk
Thu Jan 29 03:47:38 MST 2004

Before I start ... I know there's been a lot of talk over the last couple of
days about the list being slow etc... I understand there were problems and
that mail is starting to get through now. Just wondering - should I be
surprised if something I sent 48 hours ago hasn't turned up at all? And
something I sent about 6 hours ago still hasn't turned up (yet). I'm just
curious that's all - hope my account isn't blacklisted or something!

Anyways, if my post from 48 hours ago gets through then please ignore it -
i've solved that problem. However, for some reason now that I can make
incoming & outgoing PSTN calls without a delay it is common to end up dialing
the wrong number. Or rather, you would dial a number - and reach someone
random at a different number.

My PSTN is a Voicetronix OpenLine4. My vpb.conf file is set to use fxo mode
(I gather nothing else works for the OpenLine4). For DTMF in sip.conf , users
are set to use rfc2833 . I tried inband but that again crashes voicetronix
driver.

My dialplan is 'exten => _9.,2,Dial(vpb/1-2/${EXTEN:1},60,m)'

What happens now is that to dial on my Cisco 7960, I would typically have to
Dial 99# to get Asterisk to "make the call" - even though actually it's just
patching me through to a dial tone. I then manually dial the number I want to
dial relying on the DTMF from the phone to be recognised by the telco - hence
the probable error I have.

I dial like this because if I dial the full number (e.g. 923837654# for
23837654) - the Voicetronix card dials so quickly after going off hook that
the telco doesn't even recognise the first few digits!

1. How can I pause dialing so that it doesn't dial so quickly?

2. Even my archaic method above didn't cause problems before - DTMF was
recognised when there was a 2 second delay. Any way to improve DTMF
reliability (say, for auto attendants?)

Thanks!

Terence