[Asterisk-Users] Will Asterisk be supporting RTCP XR in the future?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Mon Jan 26 19:29:04 MST 2004

>This article below came up on the newwire. The RTCP XR RFC was published.
>Will Asterisk be supporting this function in a future release? Does anyone
>know if any phone vendors are going to be supporting it?
>
>Thanks
>
>Lee Goodman
>
>Our Technology Update this week is about one of those
>
>mechanisms. Known as RTP Control Protocol Reporting Extensions
>
>(RTCP XR), the technology defines a standard way to detect VoIP
>
>call quality by monitoring a variety of key call ingredients
>
>such as packet loss, delay and call quality.
[snip]

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3611.txt
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3550.txt

Sorry for late reply.  Yes, if you can get someone to code for this,
it would be a pretty cool extension.  Just getting normal RTCP in
there would be a plus: many hardphones support RTCP (Cisco,
Budgetone, Sipura, etc.) and getting some useful data back on each
call would be a huge bonus for service providers who need to examine
call quality across uncontrolled network segments.

Having that stuff in the CDR (or some small subset of it) or in a
separate CQDR (call quality detail record) would allow for some very
fancy metrics collections.

JT