[Asterisk-Users] X-Lite & Asterisk: Speex & iLBC not working?

Fran Boon flavour at partyvibe.com
Mon Jan 26 07:01:29 MST 2004

This seems to have been reported before, but I've seen no resolution:
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2003-August/001470.html
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2003-August/019091.html
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2003-October/024472.html

When forcing use of Speex, no sound comes out at all (Speex-1.0.3 on the
Asterisk server)
When forcing iLBC, there is some very garbled noise, but nothing
intelligible.

Sniffing the packets, I can see that X-Lite & Asterisk have chosen
differing 'Payload type' numbers:
a=rtpmap:98 iLBC/8000
Asterisk:
a=rtpmap:97 iLBC/8000
a=rtpmap:110 SPEEX/8000

According to the Speex RFC, this is acceptable:
http://speex.org/drafts/draft-herlein-speex-rtp-profile-00.txt
"Dynamic payload type codes MUST be negotiated 'out-of-band' for the
assignment of a dynamic payload type from the range of 96-127."

I'm wondering whether the system is at all case sensitive?
 From the RFC:
"When conveying information by SDP [4], the encoding name SHALL be "speex"."

NB Ethereal shows payload-type as being 97 when X-Lite reports iLBC &
110 when X-Lite reports Speex, so the Asterisk numbers seem to 'win'.

Any light shed on this would be great.
Whilst GSM is ok, it would be great to leverage the power of Speex :)

Thanks a lot,
Fran.