[Asterisk-Users] LAN card

Ray Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Sun Jan 25 03:42:48 MST 2004

What else are you running on your server?  On my server running asterisk and
apache, it has the following:
        total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
Mem:  261443584 237064192 24379392        0 55992320 143912960
Swap: 260104192 11231232 248872960
MemTotal:       255316 kB
MemFree:         23808 kB
SwapTotal:      254008 kB
SwapFree:       243040 kB

I've got very little swap usage, even with 256MB total physical.

For the switch, have you looked at the statistics?
For example on a Cisco:

sw2#sho inter f0/1
FastEthernet0/1 is up, line protocol is up
  Hardware is Fast Ethernet, address is 0005.5e31.5f41 (bia 0005.5e31.5f41)
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit, DLY 100 usec,
     reliability 251/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive not set
  Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, 100BaseTX/FX
  ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
  Queueing strategy: fifo
  Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops
  30 second input rate 3000 bits/sec, 4 packets/sec
  30 second output rate 6000 bits/sec, 8 packets/sec
     75312691 packets input, 1770301889 bytes
     Received 515417 broadcasts, 7622395 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
     0 watchdog, 255441 multicast
     104212173 packets output, 2775526395 bytes, 0 underruns
     0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
     0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier

Looks like I've got some input errors I should be looking into.  It should be
as close to 0 as possible.

An Intel 1000XT are good cards at they do TCP Engine Offload.  Or something
similar.  But voice traffic is measured in kbits/second, which is a very low
proportion of 10mbps or even 100mbps.

So I'd say take another look at your server and see if an application isn't
makeing a mess of your cpu processing.  Becuase Asterisk is time senstive, it
should really be the only primary process running on your machine.

AND, YOU SHOULD NOT BE RUNNING XWINDOWS.  The os should have been installed in
console mode, and as little as possible relating to X installed.

Ray Burkholder
704 644 6999 x2002
http://www.oneunified.net
ray at oneunified.net