[Asterisk-Users] LAN card

Ray Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Sun Jan 25 02:35:29 MST 2004

Take a look at your memory utilization, you should not be paging/caching any
memory.

Switches are will known not to auto-negotiate properly.  All switches, nics,
routers, etc should be manually configured for full-duplex.  Make sure each
connection is set appropriately for 1000/100/10 mpbs, what ever is appropriate
for that connection.  And yes, you can get full duplex for 10 mpbs connections
(in answer to a message a while back on the list).

Managed switches are best becuase you can look at them and get an idea of
link/packet errors on each port.  Obviously you want to completely eliminate
errors on each port.  Once you've done that, you should be well on your way to
a reliable, scalable solution.

Quoting "T. Chan" <tommy.chan at utimail.com>:

> Dear All,
>
> Just an experience to run by all you experts out there. I have started to
> put more VOIP calls into Asterisk, most are pass-through calls and some are
> terminating on the Digium card to PSTN. Whenever I get to 10 calls or more,
> I would start to get choppy sound. I tried to ping other IP addresses from
> the Asterisk and noticed a big packet loss in the vincinity of 7% to 10%,
> but when there is no call, pinging the same IP addresses reap no packet
> loss. It seems that the VOIP packets are causing congestion of some kind on
> the LAN. I am using 100M, full duplex. I tried an autonegotiated switching
> hub as well as a more sophisticated managed switching hub and forcing the
> connection to be 100M Full Duplex, non negotiated. However, I reaped the
> same result.
>
> Question is, do you know if it is better to use Managed switch and forcing
> the Ethernet connection to be 100M Full Duplex, or to use a normal UnManaged
> switch and let it negotiate.
> Also, I am using both a normal PCI LAN card as well as trying to use the
> onboard Intel 100PRO Lan card, and in both situations, I started to get lose
> packets when the number of calls increased. My colleagues, can anyone tell
> me if I am doing something wrong here, or is there something I am
> forgetting, or I simply need to use a more powerful LAN card due to the
> demand of VOIP packets.

Ray Burkholder
704 644 6999 x2002
http://www.oneunified.net
ray at oneunified.net

Scanned for viruses and dangerous content at
http://www.oneunified.net and is believed to be clean.