[Asterisk-Users] Is it possible to push the media processing off to a gateway for processing?

Todd Wallace twallace_list at touchstonetel.com
Sat Jan 24 06:45:12 MST 2004

Well, I like the features asterisk gives me such as voicemail and IVR,
Prompts, etc.  I would like to offer an IP Centrex like service, but don't
believe that I can handle very large amounts of users on a box.  The reason
I believe this is that the box would be doing all the media processing/DSP
work on the processor and would be bound by the speed and memory of the box
as to how many simultaneous sessions it could manage.  A gateway has DSP's
which are designed to handle this processing.  I know they are more
expensive, but I could handle large amounts of call volume this way and
still keep the features asterisk offers.

Another question I also meant to ask was having the ability to read
extensions from a database instead of a .conf file.  I was curious if anyone
has asterisk pulling configs from a database like mysql.

Todd