[Asterisk-Users] Toll-Free Gateway Beta Test: freenum.org

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Fri Jan 23 08:50:56 MST 2004

>John Todd said:
>>

>>  United States:*       +1-800-...
>>                        +1-888-...
>>                        +1-877-...
>>                        +1-866-...
>>   via: Telesthetic/Local Exchange Carriers of Michigan
>>

>JOhn, Good idea on leaving the code in. I'll do that.  Since IAXtel has
>8xx dialing into the USA would it be possible to have that one in
>freenum.org as the returned gateway fro the USA toll free?  That way, IAX
>will get some testing too.  Just a thought.
>Robert

Two comments on that:

  1) I think the same people that provide the actual gateways to
IAXTel are the ones that offered their services for freenum.org
(Telesthetic/Local Exchange Carriers of Michigan)

  2) The +1-8xx numbers offered in freenum.org are now available via
IAX2, thanks to the kind efforts of the gateway provider.

Here's the issue: Asterisk does not have the ability to request
specific NAPTR replies.  Since I have two different technologies (SIP
and IAX2) in the list of records for (as an example) 1-800, there are
two possible replies: a SIP NAPTR and an IAX2 NAPTR.  Now, the good
news is that the standard DNS resolver on most UNIX distributions
will rotate the two answers, so every time your particular computer
asks the question from your local resolver you should get a different
response than the previous request, or at least you will receive
answers in a quasi-random fashion.  So, in the best possible world,
every other call you make will be IAX2.  You could write some really
ugly looping routines in Asterisk to keep requesting NAPTRs from
EnumLookup until an IAX2 reply was given... <shudder>.

SO: Asterisk needs to have some extensions written to the EnumLookup
routines that allow the user optionally to specify the technology
requested.  Where was that guy on the IRC channel that was looking
for Asterisk projects...

JT