[Asterisk-Users] I got it (was: Cisco 7940 with asterisk)

Siggi Langauf langausd at swt.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Jan 23 04:38:28 MST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Jeff Gustafson wrote:

[...]
> > no, its not necessary required. in this case, check that the contents of
> > OS79xx.TXT if they match with your current version.
> >

> 	I didn't have that file because I thought it would make things worse.
> :)  I took the number from Settings -> Model Information -> App Load ID
> and put it in the OS79XX.TXT file.  This doesn't seem to satisfy the
> phone.  It still tries to pick up that .bin file.  Now at least it's
> trying for the .bin file I specified.
> 	If I have the SEP*.cnf.xml file available, the phone just says "Opening
> 192.168.5.254" then "Opening 192.168.5.132" over and over again.  The
> .132 is the right address for Asterisk.  If I *remove* the SEP file,
> then the phone lets me dial, but doesn't let me get very far because it
> complains it can't see the .bin file.
> 	Thank you for your patience so far.  I hope this process is helping
> others out there with cisco phones.

Oh dear! I see all my newbie errors repeated here...
So just to be safe:
Remove _any_ files you might have on your TFTP server. The phone will try
to fetch them, but boot fine even without them, provided that the
configuration is reset, and there is an appropriate DHCP server.

Once you have it working like that, you may think about TFTP config files
again.

In particular, these files will likely make things worse, if present:

SMLDefault.cnf.xml
SEP<MACaddress>.cnf.xml
OS79XX.TXT

Hope that finally helps...