[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk vs. Websphere Voice Response?

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Jan 23 04:13:38 MST 2004

Hi!

> 1. The spec calls for a 24 analog line system with a fairly sophisticated
> response matrix using SQL into Oracle & text-to-speech (among other
> things).  Is Asterisk in the same class of product as Websphere, or is it
> for a more straightforward "voicemail" office environment?

Not knowing the prodcut that you want to compare to: Same class.
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+introduction

> 2. I assume Asterisk runs on PC class servers using PCI cards for incoming
> lines.  Can the hardware side of a 24 line system be put together for less
> than $10K, or is it typically a lot more than that?

Far less. Did you inlcude the phones in those $10k?
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Hardware

> 3. Can Asterisk be administered and/or programmed remotely?

Yes. Even though there is still a lack of comfortable management tools a
simple secure shell does it.
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+GUI

> 4. Is Asterisk being used by any Fortune 500 companies in mission critical
> settings that you know of?

No clue, people always hide their company names, but read this:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+hardware+recommendations

Cheers, Philipp