[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk 0.7.1 RH 7.3 RPMS Released

Ken Godee ken at perfect-image.com
Thu Jan 22 08:19:26 MST 2004

>>This is great to see.. but why RH7.3 (or RH8 for that matter) since it
>>has already been EOL'ed by RH??
>

> Couple of reasons..
>
> 1. It is a stable, known quantity that uses solid components and closely
> mirrors the environment that a lot of people develop Asterisk on. It isn't
> going to drastically change, so those wishing to deploy it in production
> may look to RedHat 7.3 as a stable platform for that purpose.

I agree, keep up the good work.

I personally don't see any reason to upgrade atleast until the
2.6.x kernel is well underway. Maybe that's just me, hell I'm
still running a 4.11 Novell server and a SCO Open server that hasn't
been touched since y2k upgrades.

Also if you look around for stable/available drivers from
manufactures you'll find mostly 7.3 and some 8.0 supported
drivers. Just try to call a manufacture and tell'em your having
problems running their hardware with the newest greatest version of
x.x.x, but if you're using one of their supported drivers you'll
get the support you need. So.... moral of the story, always check
with the hardware manufacture and stay with supported distributions.

Just my .02