[Asterisk-Users] Re: G.729 Licenses from Digium

Cees de Groot cg at tric.nl
Thu Jan 22 01:21:16 MST 2004

Tilghman Lesher  <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com> said:
>Given the closed source nature of the code in question, it is
>impossible for anyone who does not have the source to be definitive
>in their answer.

Hmm... If someone got $10 to burn and runs the installation procedure
through 'strace -f' or similar? I bet they are using a system call, and
I bet that with some smart system call redirection you can fool the
software into thinking anything you like.

(and in case of emergency, simply hack the appropriate kernel drivers
;-)).

Copy protection always was braindead, but it has been completely,
utterly and absolutely braindead since the 80386.

(fond memories of flipping through 'Programming the 80386' and hacking
DOS software that never knew it was running inside our homebrew
virtualization setup ;-))

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.tric.nl     <cg at tric.nl>
tric, the new way           helpdesk/ticketing software, VoIP/CTI,