[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk 0.7.1 RH 7.3 RPMS Released

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Thu Jan 22 01:19:30 MST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, WipeOut wrote:

> This is great to see.. but why RH7.3 (or RH8 for that matter) since it
> has already been EOL'ed by RH??

Couple of reasons..

1. It is a stable, known quantity that uses solid components and closely
mirrors the environment that a lot of people develop Asterisk on. It isn't
going to drastically change, so those wishing to deploy it in production
may look to RedHat 7.3 as a stable platform for that purpose.

2. 8.0 and 9.0 are really not "server" oriented distributions of RedHat.
RedHat started using a lot of edge technology in the later versions of
RedHat (newer Glibc, newer GCC) and as a result, I know very few people
(and I know a lot in my Industry ;) that are deploying commercial,
production servers on top of RH 8 and 9. It's great for the DeskTop, but
not in the Data center. As with all things, this is based on my personal
opinions, so your mileage may vary! ;)

3. I want to refine the RPMS a bit and do some updates and changes to the
.specfiles. If I have to maintain 7.3, 8.0, 9.0 and FC1 releases, that is
3 times the build work. Work will proceed a lot more rapidly if I just
have to do a weekly update for one platform.

4. I run Asterisk on top of RH 7.3 currently and it suited my needs. ;)

5. I haven't yet built my 8.0, 9.0 and Fedora Core 1 development
environments for Vmware, although the SRPMS that I released -SHOULD- build
on them without modifications.

> For those who use RH or Fedora Core, RH9 is EOL in April and FC2 is
> scheduled for release in April as well..

See #5! ;)

                             KP-216-121-ST