[Asterisk-Users] how scalable is digium cards?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Jan 21 04:49:31 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 00:40, lito lampitoc wrote:
> This might be a newbie question but I'm just wondering
> how would it be possible to have 30 analog lines using asterisk for PBX
> by just using TDM40B and X100P (or are there any device>), if an
> ordinary PC support just 4 PCI slots? the maximum scale i guess would
> just be 2 x 8.  Adding a new PC just for this purpose would be costly.
>
> I would appreciate your comments.

It is unlikely you would want 30 analog lines coming in. It is likely
that your telco would change to supporting a T1 or E1 based on your
location and maybe they will then change it to analog at your premisis.
When working with a PBX, you would want to take that T1 or E1 directly
into the PBX without the analog conversion. So your 30 lines in would
fit on a E1 if available or 2 T1s into a TE4XXP card. You are left with
2 more ports to move those channel banks inside for analog extensions.
With 2 cards as a sane high limit, and the possibility of haveing those
two cards be 4 port E1 cards, it is possible to have 240 lines split in
some multiple of 30 between ins and outs. This also doesn't account for
the VoIP options.