[Asterisk-Users] Brandwidth for making internet calls

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Jan 20 16:41:55 MST 2004

> My ADSL connection speed is 512Kb up and 128Kb down.
>
> When making calls from Asterisk to IAX and back to the Asterisk, the
> sound is choppy and 20% of voice messages was lost. What is the
> production bandwidth requirement per internet call. I understand there
> is no guarantee of QoS but at least a benchmark to follow.

Dave,

Running 768/128 dsl here, and iax calls are fine. Two or three is about
the limit if absolutely nothing else is burning bandwidth.

As a reference point, a C7960 sip call across the same dsl circuit burns
about ~80kb and provides a very good quality call. Iax calls (with gsm)
uses considerably less bandwidth.

Rich