[Asterisk-Users] Power Over Ethernet for *any* ethernet switch (or hub); product idea

Darren Poulson asterisk at 22balmoralroad.net
Tue Jan 20 14:45:52 MST 2004

On Tuesday 20 Jan 2004 9:08 am, Michiel Betel wrote:
> Ken Alker wrote:
> > Based on several threads I've read on this list, I assume that it
> > would be handy to supply POE (power over ethernet) in an environment
> > without having to purchase POE switches (assumed expensive) and
> > abandon one's existing (familiar/custom/not-yet-expensed/etc.)
> > switches/hubs.
> >
> > Assume I have a non-POE switch with 24 RJ-45 (ethernet) ports.  I
> > design a 1U box that can be mounted just above/below the non-POE
> > switch, call it a "POEI" (POE inserter).  This box has 48 RJ-45 ports,
> > 24 "inputs" and 24 "outputs".  The end user removes all the ethernet
> > cables connected to the existing switch and moves them to the
> > "outputs" of the POEI.  Next, the end user takes six-inch long
> > ethernet cables and connects each (now vacant) port of the existing
> > switch to the "inputs" of the POEI.
>
> Ken,
>
> The boxes youn describe are already being manufactured by amongst others:
> http://www.powerdsine.com/Products/Midspan/
>
> I have no idea on pricing though......
>
> Regards, Michiel

If you're looking for a budget answer to POE, then I happened to notice these
this morning in the misco catalogue (then got home to find this thread!)

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/44686/WW/NETGEAR_POWER_OVER_ETHERNET_ADAPTERS/index.htm

They look like they're a tx-rx pair for use with their wireless access points,
so I'm not sure if they will be standard POE implementations.

Darren.

Darren Poulson - Unix Admin
PGP Key at: http://www.22balmoralroad.net/~daz/pgp.key
Poland has gun control.