[Asterisk-Users] G.729 Licenses from Digium

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue Jan 20 14:09:54 MST 2004

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 12:42, David Gomillion wrote:
> According to digium's site, "Note: Please do not attempt to use the
> G.729 code in a SCSI-only system. We are currently working with
> VoiceAge to correct this issue." (found at
> http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=asterisk_g729).
>
> Does anyone know what these issues are?  Can anyone define
> SCSI-only system? I know this sounds kinda dumb, but I have a
> server with SCSI and IDE interfaces, but no IDE drives.  Is that
> SCSI only?

The specific issue is that VoiceAge uses a copy protection method
that binds the license to the filesystem.  I believe, though I'm not
certain, that this has to do with comparing the inode number of the
drive on which the root filesystem is hosted with the inode number of
same when the license was installed.  In addition, the license is
communicated back to a central server, so there's no possibility of
installing the license twice, two different machines or no.

-Tilghman