[Asterisk-Users] ADSI phone vs. IP phone

C. Maj cmaj at freedomcorpse.info
Tue Jan 20 09:23:39 MST 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Ted Cabeen waxed:

> Andrew Kohlsmith <akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com> writes:
>
> >> Why wouldn't you just use your existing Ethernet infrastructure putting
> >> the  IP phones inline between the wall jack and the PC? There are a
> >> number of IP phones that have builtin switch/hub that allows the PC to
> >> daisy chain off the IP phone.
> >
> > To quote myself:

> > I'm not going to bastardize my network by placing the equivalent of a 3-port
> > switch or hub at every desk to have the phone system compete with our heavy
> > network users (CAD mostly), and I will fight tooth and nail against having
> > to put a goddamned wall-wart at every station just to power the damned IP
> > phones.  :-)
>
> Do ADSI phones need wall-warts, or can they drive themselves from the
> line power?

You can get dial tone on ADSI w/o a wall-wart, just like a
regular analog phone.  But you need a wall-wart to give you
power for the screen and ADSI functionality, at least on the
Nortel Vista 350.  Since there's no Ethernet, I don't think
it would be practical to do POE.

--Chris

--

Chris Maj <cmaj_hat_freedomcorpse_hot_info>
Pronunciation Guide:  Maj == May