[Asterisk-Users] FW: Memory problem

Mon Jan 19 22:16:14 MST 2004

asterisk-users-admin at lists.digium.com <> wrote:
> I am running a few asterisk servers with 512M RAM memory, and
> as I have
> mentioned in previous notes, I have experienced frequent
> crashes when faced
> with more than 15-20 simultaneous calls. I have tried to find
> out if it
> could be due to (a) Xeon chip running HT, (b) old Kernel
> version 2.4.18-3,
> (c) old redhat linux version 7.3, (d) H323 library pwlib and openh323
> versions which are 1.5.2 and 1.12.2 respectively among many other
> parameters. So far, unfortunately, the matter has not been resolved.
> However, I have noticed that the memory usage on each server
> has built up
> with time after the server being rebooted. I have complained
> about using
> close to 500M even when there were very few calls on the
> server but nobody

This is a linux question not an asterisk question. I have seen very
recent threads on here which explained what was happening and why, you
should try to review them.

I think you will find that if you reboot and don't start asterisk,
over-night your memory usage will increase to around 500M.
Most likely, during the night is when your cron scripts run, some of
these traverse the entire filesystem (update/locate) and prompt the OS
to save some of the FS contents in memory (ie cache).

In any case, it is normal to use almost all of your memory. If you
really have doubts, then look at ps aux which will show you memory usage
per process.

And, this is unlikely a asterisk problem and more an OS
mis-understanding.

Regards,
Adam

 --