[Asterisk-Users] Residential services

Jesse Peterson jesse at strata-com.com
Mon Jan 19 13:23:28 MST 2004

It will suite you well to fumble around with asterisk for several days and to keep reading all the documentation tidbits you can find. That will really help get you aquainted with asterisk and the support/documentation that is available. Most of the good info I've found has come from the wiki and from reading through list archives.

Your dialplan question isn't too hard. I'll leave it up to you to make sure your contexts are included/excluded correctly. Basically all you need to do is make sure that
"ignorepat => 9" is commented out (so ";ignorepat => 9) in any context that should use normal dialing. Then you have 2 extensions, either this for 10 digit dialing
exten => _1NXXNXXXXXX,1, Dial, ${OUTTRUNK}
exten => _NXXNXXXXXX,1, Dial, ${OUTTRUNK}
or this for 7 digit:
exten => _1NXXNXXXXXX,1, Dial, ${OUTTRUNK}
exten => _NXXXXXX,1, Dial, ${OUTTRUNK}

of course you are also on your own to make sure "${OUTTRUNK}" is working correctly.

I haven't done outbound to the PSTN with a Cisco setup, but I have with a Lucent setup (mvam as gk and tnts for pstn access). I've had to use OH323 channel instead of the included H323 channel. To get Asterisk to register w/ my gk as a gateway instead of a terminal. Basically, I did this:
1) setup a gateway called 'ASTERISK' on my gk (mvam)
2) in oh323.conf:
gatekeeper = 192.168.0.50
[register]
alias = ASTERISK       ;or whatever name you used on your gatekeeper
prefix = 9990000000    ;oh323 was complaining there were no prefixes registered... so a bogus one fixed that. my gatekeeper seems to just ignore it anyway.
3) in my extensions.conf, I dial to "OH3223/BYEXTENSION", so in my above 10digit dialing example, it would be:
exten => _1NXXNXXXXXX,1, Dial, OH3223/BYEXTENSION
exten => _NXXNXXXXXX,1, Dial, OH3223/BYEXTENSION

the 'BYEXTENSION' part just take the number as matched by the exten option and passed it out to the gatekeep OH323 has registered with and routes based on it's response.

Now, as far as residential services. Test, test, test. Then test a little more before you decide you can run production services. In some non-formal testing, myself and another fella using approx. the same setup (basically * as a sip<->h323 gateway) have found we could not run more than about 20-25 simultaneous calls. With typical telecom oversubscription rates, you're not going to get very many customers on an asterisk box.
If you do manage to get it to handle a decent number of calls, I'm sure many people would be interested in your configuration.

jesse