[Asterisk-Users] ADSI phone vs. IP phone

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Jan 19 11:49:33 MST 2004

> Why wouldn't you just use your existing Ethernet infrastructure putting
> the  IP phones inline between the wall jack and the PC? There are a
> number of IP phones that have builtin switch/hub that allows the PC to
> daisy chain off the IP phone.

To quote myself:

>> True, but I don't have to retool my office and install POE switches to
>> use ADSI phones, either.  No, I will not put a hub/switch at every desk
>> and then use wall-warts for every phone to get around retooling the
>> office.  :-)

I'm not going to bastardize my network by placing the equivalent of a 3-port
switch or hub at every desk to have the phone system compete with our heavy
network users (CAD mostly), and I will fight tooth and nail against having
to put a goddamned wall-wart at every station just to power the damned IP
phones.  :-)

Regards,
Andrew