[Asterisk-Users] [ot] Grandstream hardware

Scott Stingel scott at evtmedia.com
Mon Jan 19 10:35:41 MST 2004

> What *I* want to know is why someone has not made a CHEAP PCI card with
> 4, 8, or 16 of these DSPs on it.  This kind of card would provide

Expanding a bit on Nicolas' message, DSP software is complex, and there is
not a huge number of people who do it well.  So along with the board layout
and production cost (not trival for a 6- or 8-layer board), you have the
programming cost for both the PGA (programmable gate array) device(s) and
the DSP.   You also have the cost of the DSP simulators, driver development
etc etc.

All of these must be amortized over the number of boards you expect to sell
- that's why the board price can get so high.  Dialogic's D600-2E1 JCT
boards etc cost well over US$10000.  The whole point of the asterisk/digium
exercise is to move the complex software to the PC and take advantage of the
economies of scale that it brings.

Regards,
Scott Stingel

Scott M. Stingel
President
Emerging Voice Technology Inc.
Palo Alto, California and London, England
Email:          scott "at" evtmedia.com