[Asterisk-Users] New sounds also now in CVS

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Mon Jan 19 10:20:11 MST 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 08:34, Eric Wieling wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 22:22, dpobanz at hastingsutilities.com wrote:
> > It will probably be impossible to divide audio clips into
> > different directories without duplication of clips or massive
> > headaches determining direcories. My suggested method of handling
> > this is to have all of the sounds in one directory and create

This is actually a bad idea.  While many filesystems today have binary
tree directory structures, some still do not.  Allowing too many
miscellaneous sounds in a single directory is not only difficult to
browse, it may also consume inordinate amounts of CPU, memory, and
user time attempting to process the directory structure.

> > multiple indexes. Each index would have listed all words/phrases
> > for the topic. For example all weather terms would be placed in a
> > "weather" index. Any phases needed for weather would be in here
> > even if it appears in other indexes such as a "time" index or a
> > "monitoring" index. The index would point to the actual audio
> > clip of this common directory.
>
> What about using hard links or symlinks?

Hard links and symlinks do not translate well to CVS.

-Tilghman