[Asterisk-Users] RE: Latest version of asterisk

mattf mattf at vicimarketing.com
Mon Jan 19 06:31:30 MST 2004

Hello,

I've had Asterisk installed on HT capable machines in both HT mode(with SMP)
and non HT mode (with non-SMP) and did not notice any differences
functionally between them. The processor load was always less in HT SMP mode
than non HT and I have experienced Asterisk deadlocks in both modes so it
doesn't really seem to matter if you leave HT on(at least in my
experiences).

HT basically works by splitting off commands to one of two different virtual
processors that both run at about 70% of processor's speed(that's why you
may notice compiling to take longer when in HT mode) I have heard of some
applications having memory addressing errors with HT but I have not seen any
evidence to support that in Asterisk thus far.

I'm going to try installing a 4 x T1 card on my Athlon 2xMP server next week
and see if Asterisk/Digium performance/compatibility improves over the Intel
platform.

MATT---