[Asterisk-Users] SS7 over Asterisk ?

Tom Scott telecomtom at vedatel.com
Mon Jan 19 05:45:40 MST 2004

Alexandru,

I think the subject line has a tendency to confuse the issue we're discussing
here. At least remove "SS7" from it and call it, maybe, TDMoIP, TDMoPW (it's
actually a pseudo wire you're looking for, i think). You want to transport E1
over an IP cloud, right? You don't want the IP cloud to handle the call routing,
only to carry the E1 from one PBX to another. But maybe I misunderstand. In any
case, I doubt if you need to deal with SS7. And if you want to do TDMoPW, I
doubt that asterisk is designed to handle it, since asterisk handles is call
oriented. You already have PBXs to handle the calls; all you need is an IP could
(or ATM, or MPLS) to carry E1 pipes. But as I said, maybe i misunderstand.

-- TT