[Asterisk-Users] configuration to Grandstream via tftp

Nicolas Bougues nbougues-listes at axialys.net
Mon Jan 19 05:39:36 MST 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 10:51:02AM +0100, Nicolas Bougues wrote:

> > Attached is the config file I send to my Grandstream.
> >
> > Change IP address & Phone ID to suite.
> >

> That's great. Is it documented somewhere ?
>
> And how do you manage tens or hundreds of phones ? Are they all in the
> same cfg.txt file ?

Replying to myself. The GS phones use TFTP extensions (RFC 2347) to
provide additional info in their TFTP requests. The server has to be
aware of these extensions, if it wants to serve different files.

Here is a small dump for a request from an HandyTone (key/value) :

grandstream_MODEL	   HT-100
grandstream_NAT		   1
grandstream_ID		   000b8200c14a
grandstream_REV_BOOT	   001000000013
grandstream_REV_PHONE	   001000004026
grandstream_REV_VOC	   001000000002
grandstream_REV_HTML	   001000000020
grandstream_REV_VP	   001000000000

We can easily see the MAC address, the model and the current firmware
versions (1.4.26).

With these informations, the TFTP server could :
- serve the right cfg.txt file
- serve the right firmware files (or actually, serving nothing if the
  server considers the phone to be up to date).

I'll try to see if my basic Java knowledge enables me to make the
NAT-aware TFTP server fwtftpd understand these extensions.

--
Nicolas Bougues
Axialys Interactive