[Asterisk-Users] Now: Small Biz Robust Asterisk Solution - SBRAS

Adthrawn adthrawn at adthrawn.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Jan 18 17:54:03 MST 2004

> Tilghman Lesher wrote:
>> On Sunday 18 January 2004 12:01, Adthrawn wrote:
>>
>>> Spell out RAID - Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. Bingo.
>>

>> That's "Independent Disks".  It's the independence of each spindle
>> that
>> is valued, not the cost proposition.  If one spindle goes, it's not
>> all
>> of your data which goes with it.  Consider that many (most?) SCSI
>> disks
>> aren't inexpensive.
>>

> The original meaning of the acronym was "Inexpensive," IIRC.  It was
> later changed to allow either meaning of the word.  I just checked; it
> is "inexpensive" in both of my CS architecture textbooks.
>
> A nit, I know, but I don't want Adthrawn to get a complex :-)

:-p

The whole point of RAID originally (and I'm talking nineties RAID) was
to give small businesses the chance at having low-cost centralized mass
storage. One volume made from multiple disks, with the unique ability
to keep either stripped or mirrored backups - fantastic. And it came as
a free add-on for Apple Servers (yippee!).

SCSI disks are cheap if the work you're doing is expensive. :-)

Ad.

PS SCSI is sooo yesterday. We're onto Serial ATA, and lot's of it.
We're just about to buy a 3.5TB SAN RAID array which is built from
Serial ATA's. And it's fast. Plus damn cheap. And Apple of course :-)