[Asterisk-Users] Public switches (AXE10) not capable of handling sustained call setup bursts on E100P

Scott Stingel scott at evtmedia.com
Sun Jan 18 14:08:42 MST 2004

Hi Knut-

This may be related to a call volume problem that I've had a lot of problems
with in a very busy IVR environment.  I can easily duplicate this on my own
machine by just looping one span to another.

A colleague and I have been looking into this and believe that it may be
related to the way the asterisk code may be handling (or not handling) under-
flow errors on the PRI frame transmitter.  Although this is ultimately
related to load, it appears that asterisk (specifically libpri) is not
properly handling error flags generated by the zaptel driver.  (all of this
is theory at this point).

Mark Spencer at Digium is aware of this problem, and has said that he'll look
at it soon.  I'm trying to develop the simplest scenario that will make this
happen - to make it easier to debug.

Let me know if you need my load tester script - its quite simple, but you
would need two E1's at least to make it happen on one machine (and one or
more E1 loopback cables)

Also suggest that you contact support at Digium directly - as this may make
it more likely to get looked at soon.

Please let me know what kind of errors (frame retries, error 500, etc), if
any, that you find in /var/log/asterisk/messages.

Thanks
Scott Stingel