[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk switching ISDN data calls?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sun Jan 18 13:38:15 MST 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 14:11, Jan Baumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if it is possible to switch ISDN data calls with asterisk.

yes

> What I want to do is have a Digium TE400P in an asterisk server, one E1
> interface connected to a PRI ISDN line and one in PRI network-side mode
> connected to a Cisco PPP dialin router as an "extension" capable of
> handling 30 simultanious calls.

Why bother with the cisco when you have ZapRAS. It is possible to use
your asterisk box to bring the data call into your network.

> Incoming data and voice calls (depending on the caller having an ISDN
> card or a modem) for a specified extension should be routed to the Cisco
> for termination.

Well the modem calls would have to be routed to something able to do
modem calls.

> Another application could be connecting a legacy PBX via PRI trunk to
> simulate the telco switch and VoIP enable it this way. Will my data PBX
> extensions (PCs with ISDN PCI cards) still be able to dial out through
> asterisk to place data calls to other PCs?

You can not put a ISDN data call on VoIP. As long as you leave it a
circuit switched route out, it should be fine.