[Asterisk-Users] ultra-cheap asterisk box - no such thing

Paul Mahler pmahler at signate.com
Sun Jan 18 10:00:08 MST 2004

My Dell 400sc server was $318 delivered including tax.

They are indeed servers, not a PC. They are engineered, built, configured,
and maintained as severs. They come with on-site maintenance, which is great
if the server is in a different location than I am in.

There is no way you can build a comparable server class machine, that is a
real server, yourself from parts at this price. When it breaks, a real
company comes out and fixes it. Even if you could buy the parts for the same
amount of money, which you can't, you don't get the engineering and
maintenance.

DELL, or other reputable manufacturer's servers, are distinguished by a lot
of engineering work over a large installed base that assures their utility
as a server. I have spent many hours finding out the hard way that there was
an incompatibility, hardware or software, in some server I had built myself.
So, even if you could build machines yourself from parts for this price,
which you can't, it is not going to be as well engineered or tested.

Building your own server is probably fine for a non-critical application
where you are a small-time operator. If you are running a real business,
there is no substitute for buying a real server from a real company with
real maintenance.

Even if you could save $50 or $100, why bother. You have to spend the time
to build and test the server. You are assuming in your cost calculation that
your time is free. Building a server yourself is only cheaper if you don't
value your own time.

Your cost calculation also assumes the server won't ever break. The first
time you have to fix your home-brew box the cost difference disappears. Even
if your time is valueless, buying a new part will eliminate any cost
difference.

Even when buying an industrial strength server from a reputable
manufacturer, I always stock a spare server with the identical configuration
in case something goes wrong. I also keep spare interface boards on-hand. If
something breaks in the business of one of my customers I can quickly fix
it. Running a hot spare insures that phone service is always available.

Are you building toys or putting real systems in real businesses? If you are
building a toy system for a non-critical application, by all means build
your own server if you think that's a fun thing to do. Any putative cost
saving from building one's own server for a mission critical application is
fictive.

Paul

Paul Mahler
mail:pmahler at signate.com