[Asterisk-Users] Playing background message

Terence Parker terence at parker.com.hk
Sat Jan 17 07:37:46 MST 2004

Sorry for the fragmented messages from me - one last thing I forgot to ask
in my last post.

When incoming calls come to us, our PSTN line is picked up almost
immediately - and then asterisk will proceed to dial the SIP extensions.
During this time the caller hears dead slience - obviously not very good as
some would think the line just went dead and hang up. I have toyed with the
idea of playing a 'welcome... your call will be answered shortly' etc...
message, but can't get it to work how want it.

The caller will hear a recorded message, followed by music. What I want is
the caller to hear this WHILE the SIP phones are ringing - but using the
'Background' option in extensions.conf seems to make it so that my SIP
phones won't be dialled until AFTER the music clip is finished - i.e.
pointless.

How do I truly set a background audio to play while the internal phones are
ringing? Is this possible? Music on hold perhaps?

Thanks,

Terence