[Asterisk-Users] Codec problems (SIP)

Terence Parker terence at parker.com.hk
Sat Jan 17 07:18:47 MST 2004

Hi again,

I've finally got Voicetronix OpenLine4 working so am a happy man ... thanks
again to all those who helped! Just a few outstanding questions of curiosity
:

1. I have finally got my setup to work by allowing ONLY g711alaw and nothing
else. Why should enabling a few extra codecs cause problems? Surely if two
phones are able to work at g711alaw, and either side had a compatibility
problem with anything else (i.e. g729a at one end but not at the other) -
they would automatically negotiate to use g711alaw anyway? Is the
system/phones not smart enough to do this and I have to explicitly specify
what everything should use?

Secondly, also regarding codecs....

> > - I don't understand this as, surely, I have already enabled g729a and
> > ulaw ... how can it complain that it can't transmit in that format, or
> > that it can't find a path?
> >
> How do you got the g729 codec? * does not include it. You must to pay
> for that.

... okay, fine. But where can I buy it? And is there something specific I
have to buy, or does any old thing work with asterisk? Or...?

Thanks again!

Terence